You can import OST file to Outlook by:
- Use the Import/ Export Method.
- Use the MS Outlook Archive Feature
- Employ the Drag and Drop Approach
- Make use of OST to PST Converter Tool
But, before you get into the methods, let’s first have a brief look at OST and Outlook files, and why it might be a good idea to import your files into Outlook format.
- 1 OST and PST Files
- 2 Ways to Import OST file to Outlook Format
- 3 Wrapping It Up
OST and PST Files
OST is a file extension that is used to store email messages. It is used in Microsoft Outlook application to store Outlook emails in offline mode.
PST on the other hand, is a file extension which is used as a personal file storage and is used to store email messages, contacts, calendars, notes, attachments, etc.
If you are looking to access your OST files in MS Outlook, you need to convert your files into PST file format.
Without this out of the way, let’s head straight to the various OST to Outlook methods.
Ways to Import OST file to Outlook Format
Method#1: Convert OST to PST Using Import/Export Method
Login to your Microsoft Exchange account and follow the steps given below to convert your OST file into PST:
- Launch MS Exchange and click on File> Open & Export.
- Now click on Import & Export.
- Choose the OST file and click on Next.
- Select PST file option and click on Next.
- Choose the location where you want to save your file and click on Export.
Method#2: Drag/Drop Method to Convert OST to PST
Follow the steps below to convert OST files to PST:
- Launch MS Outlook on your system.
- Now open a PST file.
- Now drag and drop the mailbox in this newly create file.
Your files will soon get converted into PST format. Note that you can only convert a single OST file into PST at once. So, if have huge number of OST files, it will take a lot of your time.
Method#3: Employ the Outlook Archive Feature
Note that you won’t be able to archive your contacts using this method. Follow the steps below to convert OST files to PST right away:
- Open Outlook and open the OST file that you want to export.
- Next, click on File>Info>Cleanup tools.
- Select the Archive option from menu.
- Now, click on archive this folder and all subfolders
- Select the folder that you are going to export.
- Choose the destination of the new PST file.
- Click on Export to finally convert your OST file.
Your file will be converted to PST in a short while.
Method#4: Use Professional OST to PST Converter Tool
There is, however, a way to avoid all these drawbacks. You can simply employ an enterprise-level OST to PST converter software that will do the job for you.
Along with importing your OST file to PST, it will also give you a few features like:
Step1: Download the converter tool and install it.
Step2: Choose the OST files that are to be converted.
Step3: Preview the data on your screen.
Step4: Choose the PST radio option, set the destination of converted file and click on Export.
Step5: You will see the files when they are finally exported.
In this way, your files will be shortly converted into PST format. Apart from the ability to convert OST files to PST, the tool will also provide you features like:
- Ability to convert OST files to MBOX, PDF, EML and MSG.
- Various filters to aid the conversion process.
- A feature to convert large sized PST files after conversion.
- Give a preview of all mail components like contacts, calendars, etc.
Wrapping It Up
And that’s all, folks.
If are looking to open your OST files on another system, you will first need to convert your files into the PST format, as OST files cannot be opened on another system.
To convert your OST files, you can simply follow one of the manual method, as discussed above. Or, if you’re short on time, you can simply use a professional OST to PST converter software to get done with your job.